Sunday, May 1, 2011

The HANSOUL Interview by Tremayne Tatum

Hans for all those who don't know you tell the audience
a little about yourself?

Jesus Saves! First and foremost, I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I grew up in a loving home where my biological parents and step-mom loved me in their own way, however Jesus was not the focus in our household.

In the 90s, I got so caught up in the hip hop culture. I ended up getting signed to major labels, Epic Sony and Loud RCA and became a top ten Billboard artist.

On March, 12, 1995, I would let all of that go and decide that I would be fully committed to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. Now, I am living for Him; doing music, film, preaching and other things to make sure His Name is lifted up.

Also, I am currently finishing up my Master's of Divinity at the Palmer Seminary of Eastern University and a Graduate Degree in Health & Physical Education.



Besides all of the other gifts and talents that you have been blessed with,
are there any secret talents and gifts that most people wouldn't know about you?

Most people wouldn't know I played Division 1 tennis at Temple University and have coached professionally.

Also many people don't know I am an up and coming film maker and director. We are currently working on a feature film about my life story titled, "Jesus Saves" , which I am the writer and one of the directors.

I have assistant directed and/or produced over 8 music videos prior to Christ and in Christ. Also, most people wouldn't know I am a public school teacher in the Philadelphia School District.
“...sometimes I wrestle with the pressure of the success of my former career.”

Being that you had success in the mainstream hip hop arena, do you feel any pressure of trying to duplicate that same manner of success as a Christian artist?

I must admit, sometimes I wrestle with the pressure of the success of my former career.

I am human, however God does greater and beyond what the world presents. So to answer your question, I do not think He will duplicate the success, but rather do a new thing.

Ultimately, "@ the end of the day", only what we do that glorifies Jesus will really have the most eternal weight.

So success is the Triune God saying to me, "well done Hans".

Some people reading this interview may not agree that Jesus should be attached to Hip Hop and the perception that Hip Hop carries, what's your thoughts on that?

I would not say that I am attaching Jesus to hip hop, but rather , I am sharing Christ in an art form or to a culture that is in desperate need of Him.

From a personal perspective, I can say I know that God has called me to the hip hop culture as well as other cultures; and has called me to use my gifts as a rapper or MC, producer and film maker to (1) worship Him and (2) be a witness for Him to help win souls and touch lives.

Biblically speaking, I understand scriptures like Psalms 150. It encourages utilizing whatever gifts one has to uplift His Holy Name. I also understand that Elohim (The Father, Son-Jesus, Holy Spirit) Is The Father of all creativity.

I realize musically speaking that the genre of music of what people call "hip hop" is a very creative art form.

However, I also realize that this creative art form has been corrupted by sin, which is true for much of life.

Can hip hop be redeemed?

I mean, to redeem something is to buy that thing back or to take possession of it. From that stand point, yes, I can take it back to it original owner- God.

As Kingdom people, I believe we should be seeking to "occupy" til Jesus comes back. So buying it back is important, but the redemption of an art form or culture is different that the redemption of a living soul.

Furthermore, there is wisdom one should follow when seeking to engage any culture.

Lastly, one must make sure he or she is not making the culture or the medium the focus but rather that Jesus & His agenda remain the focus.


From your experience, what is the state of the Christian entertainment industry?

I am concerned about the state of the Christian entertainment industry. I wonder at times, is the issue that we call it "entertainment", I don't know.

I consider myself a minister but I function within the entertainment industry. But to answer your question, I see a shift going on where there is a passing of the guards so to speak.

I think God is leveling the playing field through the Internet, social media, and the development of technology. (HD Cameras, Pro Tools etc.)

Years ago to shoot a feature film the only option was to spend thousands of dollars on 35 MM film whereas today HD has really opened the door for so many young Christian film makers.

I would also mention that in the Gospel industry in particular there are a lot of "buddy networks" that at times I question the wisdom of these closed networks in such a vast Kingdom in which we are in.

I also see that at times we are getting caught up with our names and our own agendas versus lifting up The Name of Jesus The One Who died to save us. I also see there is a struggle with moral issues.

On a more positive note, I have been seeing particularly within the Christian rap industry more artists who are being planted within strong Bible believing churches. I think the accountability will be critical to help artists to stay out of danger.
“I think God is leveling the playing field through the Internet, social media, and the development of technology. (HD Cameras, Pro Tools, etc.)”

Do you see Christian entertainment ever becoming "mainstream"?

I see Christian entertainment in many ways becoming main stream now. I do not know if that is always a good thing. But from the standpoint of exposing it to souls that is a great thing.

The issue is that many people may be getting into it for the wrong reasons. We shouldn't be getting into this to have fans but rather to be used to make people fans of Jesus.

Lastly, I would like to say that even though many are exposed to it we need to push Christ through media at a higher level. The world is working hard to build up a counter Christ kingdom promoting a message that is against God and His Kingdom with agendas that are so wicked many couldn't even fathom.

If Jesus Himself walked into your room, and told you that He is going to give you the grace to work with one mainstream artist and the opportunity to share the gospel with them, who would that artist be?

I will say this, Eminem is some one I would love to share The Gospel with if given the opportunity.

If I sensed in them a sincere tug to follow The Lord. However, I would really have to be led of The Lord- I know scripture says we should not lay hands on no man suddenly.

I am in the process of going back and really reaching out to a lot of the mainstream artist I was close with in my old life but I do not know if doing music together is the best witness but maybe just building and relating sharing a meal etc.



What's your favorite magazine?

I have to admit I am not to big on magazines, however, I kind of like looking through the Ikea catalogs and I like Sports Illustrated.

If you had one last meal what would it be? What 3 people would you have that
meal with?

Wow! good question. The meal would most likely be at least a four course meal. It would probably incorporate some Italian, Jamaican, and Mexican cuisine. (It is my last meal!)

I know that would include some fruit smoothies and some desert possibly Apple pie a la mode.

Possibly the appetizer could be Mexican (chicken, tacos, soup) and some Chicken/Beef Patties. The main course could be Oxtail, Jerk Chicken or King Fish etc.

As far as who I would have dinner with, I would say firstly I would want my wife with me, my daughter and maybe some one I knew or in my family who didn't know The Lord that I could share Jesus with them.
“...Eminem is someone I would love to share the Gospel with if given the opportunity.”

Besides that Bible, what book has really shaped you?

Oswald Chambers "My Utmost for His Highest" and Gregory Frizzel's "How to Develop A Powerful Prayer Life"


What's your thought about the Charlie Sheen fiasco?

Wow! I saw a story some time ago or read an article about a time in Charlie Sheen's life in which he was saying he was a born again Christian- (I don't know what he considers himself now).

I also know Charlie Sheen's father Martin Sheen is said to be a strong believer who has a mission outreach center in Trenton called the Martin House-I think.

So I believe God Is allowing Charlie Sheen to reach the end of himself like the prodigal son. I understand from experience that when God has His hands on you no matter how deep you are into sin, Jesus Is able to rescue you.

I also understand that when you have asked The Lord in your heart and then you are staying in a destructive environment it weighs a toll on you emotionally and spiritually.

And you become double minded and then you become worse than you were before you acknowledged The Lord.

However, God is able.

Han's I would like to thank you for taking the time to speak to us, where can those out there reading this find out more about you?

They can find out more about me and the ministries at www.holywoodmedia.net and www.fishermeninc.com also peep out our videos @www.youtube.com/hansoulmusic or hit me on facebook.com/hansoulmusic stay up Jesus Saves!

No comments:

Post a Comment